John Muir Middle School will become the most effective middle school where all students are prepared to succeed in high school and college and develop the knowledge and habits required to be healthy and successful in the 21st century.
John Muir Middle School is committed to providing and sustaining a nurturing environment that promotes academic achievement, diversity, respect, and the skills and knowledge for students to become life-long learners and successful in the 21st century.
The core belief of the John Muir school community is that all children can and will learn. What students learn and the extent to which they learn depends on the beliefs, expertise and practices of all the members of the school community, including the administrators, teachers, support staff, parents and students. We believe that:
- Every member of the school community is responsible for teaching and student success.
- Members of the school community must hold high expectations with clear objectives to ensure student achievement.
- Strong parent and community involvement is necessary for student success.
- Learning thrives in a nurturing and collaborative environment.
- Students learn best when instruction is student-centered and active and curriculum is rigorous, dynamic and interdisciplinary.
- All Students are Ready for College: Students complete a course of study that prepares them for success in high school and college, and learn to think critically, understand complex ideas and solve problems across multiple disciplines.
- All Students are Culturally Aware: Students are prepared to succeed in today’s diverse, global economy and can function collaboratively in multiple contexts with respect, ease and confidence.
- All Students Become Lifelong Learners: Students grow into creative, reflective and actively engaged adults.
- All Students Live a Healthy Life: Students understand that physical, emotional, mental and social health factors are important to overall well-being, and they manage their lives to make healthy, productive life choices.